Have you got the right van insurance cover?
Van insurance is a legal requirement for van drivers, but have you got the right van insurance for your requirements. Together with help from van insurance specialists Commercial Vehicle Direct, Vansdirect takes a look at the different types of van insurance cover.
Nobody wants to be involved in any accident - let alone one with an uninsured driver - so you must make sure you have the correct cover for your van.
Think about it. What would happen if you were unable to work and needed medical care for any length of time? Obviously this also applies to the other drivers on the road, and that's why the penalties for uninsured drivers are so severe.
So, have you got the right van insurance cover to go with your new van? If not, you risk getting penalty points on your licence, a fine and/or disqualification - not to mention the risk of being sued for causing damage, injury or even death in the event of an accident.
Van insurance is a legal requirement
The Road Traffic Act states that it is a legal requirement for all drivers on the road to be insured, and are obliged to be insured against the possibility of injury to another person or vehicle. The police have the power to issue a £300 fixed penalty notice as well as 6 penalty points on your driving licence if you're caught driving a vehicle you're not insured to drive. In this instance, drivers with less than two years' experience will have their licence revoked and would have to re-sit both the theory and practical examinations. Don't forget that the Police also have the power to seize and sometimes, destroy a vehicle that is being driven uninsured. Can you imagine having to buy another van?
After all that, you'll have a disqualification on your driving record which will inevitably increase your insurance premiums.
Remember that insurance for commercial vehicles is not the same as car insurance and it is rare to find a policy that allows you to drive any van if you have a policy for just one. In the same way, just because a specific van is insured for someone to drive, it does not mean that you are insured to drive it.
Van insurance types
- Business van insurance: Used for work purposes only and is normally insured by carriage of own goods, carry goods for hire or reward and haulage
- Private van insurance: Suitable for drivers who use their vans for social, domestic or pleasure purposes with a social-only private policy
- Catering van insurance: For catering traders who drive mobile food vans such as burger vans and ice cream vans
- Pickup van insurance: Useful for drivers who use their vehicle for business but also at the weekend for personal use
- Young driver van insurance: This can be expensive which is inevitable given the driver eligibility. It may be more cost-effective to share the insurance with an experienced driver
Different insurance providers will offer different policies that cover different things. It is your responsibility to check your cover and understand your policy.
Van insurance extras
- Legal protection - cover for legal costs that may arise as a result of an accident, assistance for uninsured losses and help with the recovery of medical losses or earnings
- Breakdown cover - may be offered by the insurance provider, useful if your van breaks down. Check if the cover provides a replacement vehicle
- Personal Injury cover - pays out a specified tax-free sum in the event of serious injury following an accident
- Windscreen cover - often, this is included in your policy - but always check. Useful for windscreen replacement and repairs
- Tool protection - if you carry tools in your van, this will cover you if your tools are lost, stolen or damaged
- Keyman insurance - covers your company for the loss of a key member of staff
As you can see, it's not worth trying to scrimp and save on your van insurance policy. Getting the right insurance can save you a LOT of money in the event of an accident. As you'll be all too aware, your van is your livelihood - your business - so get the right van insurance!
New van insurance
We can help you with van insurance. Visit our affiliate, van insurance specialist Commercial Vehicle Direct (CVD) to get a quote and a discount on your van insurance policy and half price tool cover!